Sunday, March 21, 2010

Psychedelic Soul!

I Can't Get Next To You

Composed by Norman Jesse Whitfield and Barrett Strong for the Temptations on the Gordy label, I Can't Get Next To You became a number one hit in 1969 on the Billboard chart. This song heralded the beginning of "psychedelic soul". Strong was the first hit maker on Berry Gordy's Motown label, with the song "Money (That's What I Want)". The single was the second of the Temptations' four number-one hits on the United States pop charts, and was also one of the best-selling singles the group released. ABC, a song released in the following year by fellow Motown act The Jackson Five, uses the same bridge section, featuring identifiable use of the stated "ya!" as well as the percussion.

A bluesier, slow burn version was recorded the following year by Al Green. The theme of the song, how having all the powers in the world means nothing if a man cannot impress the woman he loves is very similar to the lyrics of Ira Gershwin's 1935 standard "I Can't Get Started With You".

I started the bluesy Al Green version, favoring the jazzier improv section to build the harmonics for my backing ensemble. After pecolating along for verses 1 and two in this delicious funk, my arrangement suddenly breaks into quick time, playing on the Temptations' "Chick-a-booms" before flying off into urgent psychedelia, letting soloists trade 8's to the finish.

Here you can see the Al Green style intro, where I let pairs of voices trade triplet figures before letting the lower voices settle into a swing framework and the upper voices draw out those jazzy colors I mentioned earlier.


Sailing, Summer, Fun
The sailing season is starting soon in Boston. I completed a lot of work since November and might finish another work or two in the coming weeks, but I'm planning to stand down for a time, consolidate and develop my new work, and do a little sailing. Learning track files are in progress for the new work, and I'm beginning to market the songs to a cappella bands, men's choirs and the wider world. There's a lot of work to be done and the task is shifting a bit for the time being. I met a local choir director today looking to start a men's a cappella group and number one on her list was Motown. We talked. I think I'll be busy.

No comments: